Tuesday, October 19, 2010

My Gmarket shopping experience




Recently heard of a Korea base shopping website name Gmarket. It is similar to Ebay, but obviously you are shopping from sellers base in Korea. So how it works is you make your purchase from different sellers, the sellers will then ship the products to Gmarket warehouse in Korea. Once all the items has arrived to Gmarket warehouse, it will then be shipped overseas in a combine shipment. A very cost effective way to save on shipping charges.

So me and my girl friend decided to make our first purchase from Gmarket and we went all-in. Initially, we plan to shop for a few clothing's and obviously we shop way more than we intended to in the first place. At the end, we bought around 25 pieces of clothing's combined, plus some other products. We end up buying 30 items in total from Gmarket. The cost including overseas shipping to where I live (Canada) works out to be around $10-$15 cdn/item. Thats a great deal for Korean made clothing's and items. These products can easily cost five times more if I was to purchase it in Hong Kong.

The shipping services from Gmarket is speedy. My package was ship as EMS and arrived from Korea to Canada in 3 days at most. However, thanks to our "speedy" customs, it was held for approx. 4 extra days before it gets release to Canada Post for delivery.

The long waited day has finally arrived when I receive the package from Canada Post today. When I open it up, everything is as advertised. I am really really happy with my shopping experience with Gmarket. If I have to list something negative about Gmarket, is the way it refund its shipping charges. When you made a purchase on your items, the shipping cost will be charged base on an estimated weight of the item and you can pay this by visa or paypal. However, the estimate weight is no where near the actual weight. My package is estimated to be around 26kg, but the actual is only 12kg. So i paid almost a double on shipping charges. I made my purchase with Visa, but Gmarket will not refund the shipping charge to my visa, instead it is refund as a credit in my Gmarket account. I can cash it out and transfer to money to my bank account in Canada, but since it is an overseas account, there will be a $35us service charge. How lame. I guess I will use the credit on my next Gmarket purchase. Even though I don't like the way they refund the shipping charges, I will still refer Gmarket to people that I know. The clothing's are really cheap in price but good in quality.

The following are some of the photos that I took when I open the package today.








8 comments:

  1. Hey,
    Nice Review you got there!Quick question, Did the Canadian customs not charge you? The only thing that is holding me back from going all out at G-market is the fee that the canadian customs might charge me. Did the EMS package not indicate the amount you purchased in total? maybe that is why? The last time i purchased something on the internet, i got charged hard by the customs....
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Canadian customs did not charge me, which is hard to believe. I have been shopping from G-market for a couple of times now and not one time did I get any charges from the customs. The EMS package did indicate the amount I purchased, but the amount seems to be a lot less than what I paid for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question, and if only I ordered 2 products, one is a CD and another one mp4, all together has a value of 105 usd, I still got charged customs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to order from Gmarket as well, but when I add items from bestsellers to my shopping cart and I try to choose "Canada" from the country list (to estimate delivery fee), Canada is not on that list!

    I tried a lot of the bestsellers, but they don't have Canada!

    Does that mean I can't buy any clothes from those sellers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi

    I'm happy to see that you was please by your experience with Gmarket. I did place an order but I decided to cancel it since I did not know how the duty will be charge in Canada. I was under the impression that the carrier will be in charge of this and I will charge an extra percentage on the total amount to cover brokerage fees without mentioning provincial and federal taxes and other duty on product. Can you be more specific on that part of your experience regarding taxes and duty's and reinsure us that there is no Brokers fees to clear the order in Canada. If I read well your review, do I have to understand that the clearing process was handle by Canada Post and/or CBSA (Canada Border Services). CAn you also confirm that the part of delivery in Canada was cover by Canada Postal System and not a private company like DHL, Purolator etc. May I suggest to use Paypal to avoid the problem with refund.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, thanks for this, its useful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is easier to know the shipping charges for your package and get international shipping with great affordable rates.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou for this wondrous post, I am glad I observed this website on yahoo. 소자본창업

    ReplyDelete